Thursday 9 May 2013

What's your favourite Abba song?

I ask because there’s been a lot on the news and in the papers recently about Abba, with the museum opening in Sweden and Agnetha releasing another solo album.

It got me to thinking about their music, and how my favourite Abba song has changed over the years.

When I was little, I liked ‘Take A Chance On Me’ and used to sing along making up my own lyrics, as you do when you’re seven.

I also like ‘Mamma Mia’ – in fact, this is what I sang on the one and only occasion I ‘performed’ at Karaoke (the KGH Social Club was the venue in case you’re interested, perhaps fortunate that medical help was available nearby for members of the audience whose ears were probably bleeding by the end of the evening!).

My current favourite, which has held that coveted title for a number of years now, is ‘The Day Before You Came’.

Perhaps a surprising choice, as I know it’s not one of their most popular numbers, but that might be why I like it.

It’s not particularly happy and I don’t think you can dance to it, although to be honest I’ve never tried.

It tells a story, and it’s quite poignant really.  The lady recalls her life before she met her partner, and how monotonous, routinized and ordered it was.  There’s a repeated refrain which runs throughout the song which emphasizes this monotony. 

If you’re not familiar with it, have a listen.  If you hate it, there’s plenty of other songs you can choose instead.  Now where’s my Abba ‘Gold’ CD?!

No comments:

Post a Comment