Thursday 20 June 2013

Hey Mr D.J.

Have you ever been somewhere and the most inappropriate song has been played?

For example, I remember walking into a Silver Wedding anniversary party to hear the strains of Tammy Wynette’s ‘D.I.V.O.R.C.E.’ blaring from the disco speakers.

Then some years ago at a friend’s wedding at an extremely posh venue, after their first dance to Shania Twain’s ‘You’re Still the One’, the DJ cranked up Mousse T’s hit of the time ‘Horny’.

The bride and groom looked embarrassed as they were left stranded on the dancefloor, while guests exchanged raised eyebrows and smirks at the DJ’s choice of tune, refusing to budge from their seats to join them.

Having never worked in hospital radio I can’t confirm this, but I believe there’s a list of tunes that can’t be played, even if requested by patients.

I imagine ‘Girlfriend in A Coma’ by The Smiths tops this list.  I’m pretty sure the Manic Street Preacher’s ‘Theme from M.A.S.H.’ is on there too. 

I’m wondering if now, with the trend for pop music to be played at weddings and funerals, do places of worship and Crematoriums have a list of songs they won’t play?

If so, I’d love to know what they are...

No comments:

Post a Comment