Saturday 8 June 2013

I don’t watch ‘Frankie’, the new BBC drama about a District Nurse, but have heard that she’s a Ken Bruce fan and ‘talks’ to him when she’s listening to his Radio 2 show.

Although I’m not sure that is entirely healthy for a member of the medical profession, I too find myself answering questions posed by the DJs on the radio – particularly Jeremy Vine at lunchtime.

Indeed, I found myself doing this only recently, but this time it was when Patrick Kielty was standing in for Steve Wright in the afternoon.

He was talking to a lady who was 49, turning 50 the next day.

“Are you going to embrace 50?” he asked her.

I found myself saying to the radio “What’s the alternative?  Of course she’s got to embrace it!”

I think too much emphasis is placed on ageing.  It happens to us all, hopefully, so why are we so negative about it?

I say hopefully, purposefully, because I’ve known people who’ve unfortunately died young, and they’d have loved the opportunity to be 30, 40, 50 or older.

So the next time you’re worrying about an age milestone, spare a thought for those who’ll never see it – and please count your blessings as well as the wrinkles and grey hairs!

No comments:

Post a Comment