Wednesday 4 September 2013

Seven Wonders of Northamptonshire...


Can you name the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World?

I could remember two at a push, but apparently I’m doing quite well as most people can name only one, according to a recent survey by travel agency Bonvoyage.co.uk

Just in case you’re interested they are the Great Pyramid at Giza, the Hanging Gardens of Babylon (the two I could recall), the Statue of Zeus at Olympia, the Temple of Artemis at Ephesus, the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus, the Colossus of Rhodes and the Lighthouse of Alexandria.

As most of these now don’t exist, it’s hardly surprising people can’t name them is it?

This survey then also asked people to suggest their modern wonders and the resultant list is the Statue of Liberty, the Grand Canyon, Niagara Falls, the Great Barrier Reef, Table Mountain, the Northern Lights and Mount Vesuvius.

This then got me thinking, what could be considered the seven wonders of our area of Northamptonshire?  I came up with the following:

Harringworth Viaduct
Kirby Hall
The Triangular Lodge at Rushton
Lyveden New Bield
Boughton House
Rockingham Castle
Corby Cube

Yes, I appreciate that the Corby Cube is perhaps a controversial choice, but it is a very striking building. 

But it also made my list because it made me wonder why it went so much over budget, wonder when it would actually be finished, and wonder why another £600,000 is needed to fix what is, in effect, a flat roof?!

No comments:

Post a Comment