Saturday 16 November 2013

Faith restored...

I'm sure that I'm not alone in the fact that I dislike the over-commercialization of Christmas.

Unfortunately, I saw my first Christmas advert on the TV on 15th October, and I didn't rejoice when the 'Holidays Are Coming' juggernaut rolled onto our screens earlier this month.

Likewise, whilst I appreciate the effort that's gone into creating the 'Magic and Sparkle' and the 'Hare and the Bear' productions, I feel that they don't really represent the true meaning of Christmas.

I was actually feeling quite fed-up with the whole 'spend, spend, spend' messages bombarding me on a daily basis.

Then the fantastic amount of money raised by the British public for Children in Need helped to restore my faith in human nature, and made me think that, thankfully, the real message of Christmas is still alive and well.

People dug deep and donated an amazing £31 million pounds.

As we're only just dragging ourselves out of recession, and many people are still struggling, it's truly heart-warming that we still recognize that there are people worse off than ourselves and give generously.

Similarly, within a few days of the appeal being launched last week, millions of pounds had been donated to the Philippines relief fund.

Even though there's a lot of charity events taking place - Movember being in full growth, respect to all the men sporting additional facial hair - we still give what we can, when we can.

At this point, I'd like to give a special mention to a local lad - Sam Powell - who's having his beautiful long hair shaved off, along with two friends known as 'Team Baldilocks', to raise money for Macmillan. 

If you'd like to support him too there's a sponsor form at Gretton Post Office or you can donate online at http://www.justgiving.com/Sean-Belton

Thank you.  Hx

No comments:

Post a Comment