Thursday 22 May 2014

Apathy is the enemy of democracy

When I feel apathetic about voting, I remind myself that there are still places where women aren't allowed to vote, and indeed what the Suffragettes went through in this country to secure votes for women.

I read a quote from John Stuart Mill someone had posted on Twitter - 'Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.'  In fairness, this is very similar to another favourite of mine from Edmund Burke - 'The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.'

These neatly sum up for me why we should all vote.  We need to keep our politicians in check.  They need to be reminded that they serve us, not the other way around.

People get the Governments that they deserve.  Realistically, if you don't vote, then you can't complain about who you end up with.

The rise of UKIP over recent years has been interesting/worrying, depending on your viewpoint.

The party which David Cameron dismissed as 'fruitcakes, loons and closet racists' has apparently gained popularity with a disillusioned public who felt the mainstream parties weren't listening to their concerns.

Which leads me onto Europe, and the question should we stay or should we go?

Actually, I'm not sure.  Is it even possible for us to untangle ourselves from the EU, even if that's what the majority of people in this country want?

I'm not sure if it's desirable either - are we better off being in there, having a say, than sitting on the outside looking in?

If we leave the EU how will that affect businesses and trade?  Will we see companies leaving Britain and re-locating to mainland Europe?

We need unbiased information on which to base a decision, but who can we trust to give us this?  I wish I knew - it seems everybody has their own agenda.  Answers on a postcard please...

 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment