Thursday 4 September 2014

Goosebump moments

I had a couple of 'goosebump' moments over the August Bank Holiday weekend.

The first was at the Gretton Music Festival, watching the Youth BUSkers event on the Corby Radio Bus.

A young girl performed the operatic piece 'O Mio Babbino Caro' (O My Beloved Father) by Puccini, which I remember from the Merchant Ivory film 'A Room With A View'.

It was amazing, the whole crowd fell silent and listened intently.  She was brilliant - I think we could have another Faryl Smith in the making!

In fact, all the young performers were excellent and should be congratulated - it takes a lot of courage to stand on a stage and perform.  Well done to you all.

The music festival was a big success and was well attended. I also enjoyed the live bands, sadly I couldn't see them all, but Point Blank were very good, and performed a range of rock music including songs by Kings of Leon and the Stereophonics.

Then on Sunday I danced the night away to Jive Honey, a ten-piece band with three lady vocalists, horn and rhythm sections, who played a wide range of soul, funk, pop and rock.  They were fabulous, a great party band that also included Mike Wedderburn, the Sky Sports presenter, on keyboards!

Before the Jive Honey gig on Sunday, we had headed to Stamford for a charity car show in The Meadows.

At 3pm I had my other 'goosebump' moment when the last two flying Lancasters in the world - Vera and Thumper - flew overhead.

It was a fantastic sight and sound - the roar of the Rolls Royce Merlin engines as they went over is something that I won't forget. 

We had been due to see them the week before at the Sywell airshow, but they couldn't attend due to high winds.  I just wish we could have seen a bit more of them as they just did the flypast and then headed off to their next destination.  But they were worth the wait, and I feel privileged that I eventually got to see them both - it's unlikely that I'll get the chance again.

No comments:

Post a Comment