Thursday 6 November 2014

Songs that make you Happy!

Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody came top in a recent poll to find out the song that makes people happy.  Second was Abba's Dancing Queen, and third was Pharrell William's appropriately-entitled Happy.

I thought Queen was an interesting choice - on face value, it doesn't appear to be a particularly happy or amusing ditty.  In fact, its subject matter is surprisingly bleak, which made me wonder why it came top.

Could it be that people of a certain age - like myself - associate it with the film Wayne's World and join in with the head-banging part like they do in the film?

Or perhaps they sing the 'Scaramouche, scaramouche will you do the fandago' bit, pretending to be opera singers - or maybe that's just me, ahem, let's move on swiftly.

As far as I know dear old Morrissey didn't feature in this list, although Steph McGovern of BBC Breakfast fame did say that listening to The Smiths always cheered her up.  I happen to quite like Everyday is Like Sunday, but I can't say I'd reach for it to lighten my mood!

Which then got me thinking, what songs do cheer me up?  Being a fan of the Eighties - music that is, not fashion; no shoulder-pads to see here - I would say that Dead or Alive's You Spin Me Round (Like A Record), or She Sells Sanctuary by The Cult tend to put me in a good mood.

I also like Abba, but would put Mamma Mia or Gimme Gimme Gimme ahead of Dancing Queen in the cheering-up stakes.

Looking at more up-to-date songs, I'm partial to Meghan Trainor's All About That Bass, which I tend to sing around the house much to my daughter's dismay. 

I also like Pharrell's Happy, although it's probably in danger of being played too much. It was in Despicable Me 2, and I love the Minions.  In fact, I would have to say that singing Minions make me happy - I swear!

No comments:

Post a Comment