Wednesday 20 December 2017

Merry Christmas!

Apparently, debate has been raging on social media about whether or not Die Hard (the Bruce Willis action movie) is a Christmas film.

The argument being that just because a film is set during the season of goodwill, it doesn't necessarily make it a festive flick. 

The jury's out on that one in my house, so I'll leave you to debate that over the turkey, stuffing and pigs-in-blankets in yours - it'll make a refreshing change from the cracker jokes anyway.

When I think of Christmas films, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation tops the list, followed by It's a Wonderful Life, Home Alone, Elf and A Muppet Christmas Carol, not necessarily in order of personal preference.

Films I expect to see in the terrestrial TV schedules over the festive season - and will be disappointed if I don't - include The Sound Of Music, The Wizard of Oz, the Great Escape and Casablanca.

But that of course doesn't make them Christmas films, they're just films that are usually on at Christmas, or New Year, maybe Easter, and then the occasional Bank Holiday throughout the year for good measure in case you missed them earlier.  Just good, classic films then, to be watched anytime.

What about favourite Christmas songs though? Mine is Fairytale of New York by The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl.

My daughter and I also like Last Christmas by Wham!, which has added poignancy this year due to George Michael's passing on Christmas Day last year.  I just wish we'd known all about the good deeds he'd done while he was still with us - what a lovely, generous man, sadly missed.

Merry Christmas Everyone by Shakin' Stevens is another tune on my festive playlist, alongside the original Band Aid, Chris De Burgh, David Essex with his Winter's Tale, and the obligatory hits from Wizzard and Slade.


Which leads me to shout out in my best Noddy Holder voice 'It's Christmas!', and to wish you and yours all the best for a wonderful Christmas time!

No comments:

Post a Comment